Big Screen Smartphones Becomes a Growing Trend in China, Says IDC China
Singapore and Hong Kong, September 8, 2014 –
Kitty Fok, IDC China Managing Director, shared her views on smartphone market in China recently, especially on big screen smartphones. Full video can be viewed here : http://youtu.be/grj13JCgyeo
Below are some key points of her insights:
(1) China market sees increased use of big screen (5-7 inches) smartphones, which accounted for more than 20% of total smartphones in 2013 and are expected to further increase.
- The way Chinese people use smartphones has changed, especially among young generation who use smartphones less for voice communication and more for digital applications such as text, video, game, shopping, etc.
- In tier 4-6 cities in China, without full popularization of PCs and tablets, smartphones are often the only devices for people to keep daily connection and entertainment, so bigger screen is more attracting.
- China local smartphone manufacturers are providing consumers bigger screen smartphones with more affordable price than international brands.
(3) Apple’s new device has a much bigger screen, so what are the implications in terms of its appeal within the China market?
- We are expecting a replacement wave in Apple’s installed base market in China
- People are using smartphones more for digital applications than for voice
- When digital applications replace voice as the primary function, smartphone manufacturers need to think of how they can make a smartphone more useful for the consumers. High resolution, good camera, text system and others will become increasingly important.
Full video can be viewed here : http://youtu.be/grj13JCgyeo
For more information about the research or to purchase this data, please contact Sheryl Fuertez at +65-6829-7758 or sfuertez @idc.com. If you would like to be on our mailing list for IDC’s Asia/Pacific press release, please register here.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world’s leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.