AMD Unleashes World’s Most Powerful Server GPU for HPC
─ AMD FirePro™ S9150 server card delivers up to 2.53 TFLOPS of peak double-precision floating point performance for intense compute workloads, and 10.8 GFLOPS double precision-per-watt, up to 77% more performance/watt than the competition¹ ─
SUNNYVALE, Calif. AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced the AMD FirePro™ S9150 server card – the most powerful server Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) ever built for High Performance Computing1. Based on the AMD Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, the first AMD architecture designed specifically with compute workloads in mind, the AMD FirePro S9150 server card is the first server card to support enhanced double precision and break the 2.0 TFLOPS double precision barrier. With 16GB of GDDR5 memory – 33 percent more than the competition – and maximum power consumption of 235 watts, AMD FirePro S9150 server GPUs provide supercomputers with massive compute performance while maximizing available power budgets.
“Today’s supercomputers feature an increasing mix of GPUs, CPUs and co-processors to achieve great performance, and many of them are being implemented in an environmentally responsible manner to help reduce power and water consumption,” said David Cummings, senior director and general manager, professional graphics, AMD. “Designed for large scale multi-GPU support and unmatched compute performance, AMD FirePro S9150 ushers in a new era of supercomputing. Its memory configuration, compute capabilities and performance per watt are unmatched in its class, and can help take supercomputers to the next level of performance and energy efficiency.”
The AMD FirePro S9150 server card is supported by a powerful software ecosystem, enabling developers to better harness its compute performance. In addition to AMD support for OpenCL™, including support for OpenCL™ 2.0 planned later this year, AMD today announced a collaboration with Pathscale to support OpenMP 4.0 for AMD FirePro S9150 and selected other AMD FirePro graphics cards.
The AMD FirePro S9150 server GPU features:
– 5.07 TFLOPS of peak single-precision floating point performance – up to 18 percent more than the competition¹
– Maximum double-precision floating point performance resulting in 2.53 TFLOPS peak double-precision compute performance – half of its peak single precision performance.
– Industry leading memory configuration3 – 16GB GDDR5 memory, 512-bit memory interface and up to 320 GB/s memory bandwidth
– 2,816 stream processors (44 GCN compute units)
– Error Correcting Code Memory support (external), Ready to support OpenCL™ 2.04
– 235W maximum power consumption, AMD STREAM technology5
Additionally, AMD introduced the new AMD FirePro™ S9050 server GPU with 12GB of ultra-fast GDDR5 memory, ECC Memory support, cutting-edge graphics and compute performance. The new server GPU delivers 3.23 TFLOPS of peak single precision, plus 806 GFLOPS of double precision floating-point performance for effortless processing of challenging compute workloads.
The AMD FirePro S9050 server GPU features:
– 12GB GDDR5 memory, 384-bit memory interface and up to 264 GB/s memory bandwidth
– 1,792 stream processors (28 GCN compute units)
– Error Correcting Code Memory support (internal and external), OpenCL 1.2 support
– 225W maximum power consumption
Both of the AMD FirePro S9150 and S9050 server GPUs feature PCIe® x16 dual slot form factors and passive thermal solutions more compatible with server environments. Additionally, both cards support AMD STREAM technology5 which powers the ecosystem that enables AMD FirePro™ S-Series server GPUs to be used for compute intensive workflows leveraging the massively parallel processing power of AMD GPUs, and to accelerate many applications beyond just graphics.
AMD FirePro S9150 and S9050 are expected to be available for purchase in Q3 from AMD global distribution partner SAPPHIRE Technology, and compatible servers and motherboards for the AMD FirePro S9150 are also available from server integrators ASUS, GIGABYTE, Supermicro and TYAN.
– Learn more about AMD FirePro™ S9150 server GPU
– Learn more about AMD FirePro™ S9050 server GPU
– Learn more about AMD STREAM technology
– Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
– Follow AMD professional graphics on Twitter- @AMDFirePro
About AMD (NYSE: AMD) designs and integrates technology that powers millions of intelligent devices, including personal computers, tablets, game consoles and cloud servers that define the new era of surround computing. AMD solutions enable people everywhere to realize the full potential of their favorite devices and applications to push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information, visit www.amd.com.