IBM Verse Fuses Cloud, Social, Analytics and Design Innovation to Transform the Way We Work
BANGKOK, THAILAND – 04 Jun 2015: IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced the availability of IBM Verse, an innovative new social messaging solution that incorporates built-in analytics to give people a new way to connect, communicate and find the right people and information fast. A direct result of IBM’s $100 million investment in design innovation, IBM Verse integrates email, calendars, file sharing, instant messaging, social and more – all through a single collaborative, cloud-based environment.
Although email is considered one of the most significant advances in workforce productivity over the past 30 years, today it has become one of the greatest organizational burdens. Businesses are sending upwards of 108 billion emails a day and people just can’t keep up. At a time when every organization is striving to be more efficient, social and collaborative, this has created a dynamic where the volume of email interaction still outpaces social collaboration by a wide margin. In fact, according to IT industry firm IDC, email remains the single most widely used collaboration tool, with worldwide revenue for enterprise email expected to reach $4.7 billion in 20171.
IBM Verse takes a vastly different approach to enterprise email. Key features of IBM Verse include:
- Integrating the many ways we connect each day, with intuitive collaboration across devices: An intuitive, ‘at-a-glance’ user interface optimized for mobile and web environments integrates previously scattered across multiple tools such as email, calendar, to-dos, social networks, chats, online meetings and documents – through a single collaboration environment.
- Faceted search: It is the first messaging system to feature ‘faceted search’, which enables users to pinpoint and retrieve specific information they’re seeking across all the various types of content within their email.
- Calendaring: As part of Verse’s innovative visual design, the calendar is animated, visible and actionable across the bottom of the landing page, making missed meetings a thing of the past. Users can join meetings quickly by merely hovering over the calendar meeting and clicking “Join Meeting” directly from the calendar bar.
- File Sharing: When sending an email, users can choose to easily upload a file from their desktop and share it with the mail recipients in a single action. This enables full life cycle management of the files, making co-editing, review and commenting on a file easy. Owners can track who has downloaded the file and recipients will always have access to the latest version instead of the version that was attached into the email. It is safe, secure and encrypted. These files can be synchronized to users’ desktops, and mobile devices, making sharing and action easy, tractable and also saving space.
In addition, IBM Verse enables subject matter experts to share insight in two clicks or less in any social environment inside or outside their organization. Rather than replying to a narrow email distribution, project leaders can share their insights as a blog post for their entire project team, with the ability to delegate and track critical actions across individual team members.
With built-in analytics, IBM Verse intelligently and automatically surface users’ most important people and critical actions to focus on for the day, including:
- Intelligent Task Prioritization: Quickly finds and prioritizes the tasks that matter most. With lightning-fast search and built-in intelligence, it analyzes – and eventually even predicts – user behaviors and preferences in order to personalize an employee’s unique social mail experience.
- Engage People, Not Email: By learning unique employee preferences and priorities over time, it provides instant context about a given project as well as the people and teams collaborating on it. This allows users to visualize employee profiles, understand relationships between individuals and teams, and more effectively track and manage project and task delegation. This is in contrast to most freely available mail services that mine a user’s inbox to increase advertising and monetize that data in other ways – an unwelcome proposition for business users concerned about privacy or which operate in regulated industries such as healthcare and finance.
- Team Analytics: With just one click, users can see an organizational graph of the people on their thread and gain insights before responding. No longer do you have to wonder who you are corresponding with.
Delivered on the SoftLayer Cloud with enterprise-grade security, IBM Verse gives enterprise customers, small businesses and individuals a scalable, cloud-based social collaboration offering optimized for mobile and Web environments. IBM Verse will also be offered as an app for both iOS and Android to give mobile users the same experiences on the go as they do on their PCs.
Clients using IBM Verse will also have the future option to embed a Watson feature into their collaboration environment, which enables users to query Watson on a given topic and receive a direct reply with answers ranked by degree of confidence. Users can ask Watson, on their behalf, to schedule a meeting and figure out the appropriate time for all to get together.
“The convergence of analytics, cloud, social and mobile technologies is not just impacting our personal lives, it’s profoundly changing how we work,” said Kittipong Asawapichayon, Country Software Group Manager, IBM Thailand Co., Ltd. “These forces are reshaping how people make decisions, create and share new ideas and collaborate across teams to get work done. IBM Verse uses analytics to completely reimagine the social collaboration experience to focus on engaging people and driving outcomes, not managing messages and inboxes.”
IBM offers the world’s deepest portfolio of technologies and expertise that are transforming the future of work. To help clients quickly innovate and make better, data-driven decisions, the company’s leading cloud and analytics platforms draw expertise from 70,000 client engagements and 5,500 patents. To deliver seamless and secure experiences across devices, clients have access to 11,000 dedicated mobile and security experts supported by 4,300 patents powering IBM’s MobileFirst portfolio. With IBM social software used by 79 of the top global Fortune 100 companies, IBM was recently named worldwide market share leader in enterprise social software for the fifth consecutive year by IDC2.
For more information on how IBM is transforming the future of work, visit www.ibm.com/verse.
1 – IDC Technology Spotlight, sponsored by IBM, Improving Collaboration by Adding Social Capabilities to Email, Jan. 2014
2 – IDC Worldwide Enterprise Social Networks 2014–2018 Forecast and 2013 Vendor Shares,Jul. 23, 2014
participated in IBM ASEAN Smart Camp Program international competition.