“EGA” Ignites New Startups of Thai Applications to Develop the Best Government Applications of the Year to Win HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Trophy in “MEGA 2015”
“EGA” ignites new startups of Thai applications with the announcement of the best government applications of the year in MEGA2015: Mobile Enterprise d-Government Award 2015 to win trophies from HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. The contest comprises 2 categories including 1. The Best Idea which goes to ViaBus, a real-time public bus tracking and navigation mobile application 2. The Best Innovation which goes to SmartHealth for Chronic Kidney Disease, a healthcare application for chronic kidney disease which can link with hospital information system.
Dr. Uttama Savanayana, the Minister of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), discloses that Mega 2015: Mobile Enterprise d-Government Award 2015, a contest to win trophies from HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, is one of the startup campaigns as it ignites an idea to develop disruptive technology innovation which can change and improve existing products and services. It aims to promote the government agencies to take part in development and search of quality mobile applications which can fulfil the needs of the public and private sector.
MEGA 2015 encourages new business startups to use the government services to develop applications for the public with a team of mentoring specialists from the public and private sector who provide support since an idea generation, an incubation to a conceptual idea as well as promote the contestants to gain experiences until they can come across to a business startup process with the Electronic Government Agency (Public Organisation) or EGA as the main sponsor.
Thus, promoting the government mobile application developers to be accepted for their idea until they can establish their own business incredibly needs a learning process and an understanding of the government’s jobs due to many related regulations. But MEGA contest in the following years can screen more new innovative ideas and develop them to be a business startup definitely.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) collaborates with EGA and related agencies to develop IT system, infrastructure and new technology which is necessary to the development like Big Data, Government Cloud Computing and others as well as an opening of the government’s Open Data in parallel to promote a lot of ideas from MEGA 2015 to develop a new innovation to improve the government services which will broadly benefit the economy, society and public. Next year these innovations will be presented in the Government Application Center (GAC).
Dr. Varakorn Samakoses, the Chairman of Executive Board, the Electronic Government Agency (Public Organization) or EGA, discloses that MEGA 2015 is an important collaboration between the public and private sector from various agencies including Software Industry Promotion Agency, Software Park Thailand, the National Electronics and Computer Technology Center, Thai Samsung Electronics Company Limited and IBM Thailand Company Limited with an aim to provoke tech startup of initial idea like seeding with a help of specialists from the public and private sector.
EGA aims to draw more agencies from the public and private sector to support MEGA 2016 to mobilize competence from specialists to develop more startups of the government applications.
In MEGA 2015 contest, there are two government agencies giving a topic of application development comprising the Department of Environmental Quality Promotion and the National Institute for Emergency Medicine which is a good pilot. In the next years, EGA will invite more government agencies to give various topics and will use the government information in the Open Data as a source of information for application developer contestant to develop an application.
Dr. Sak Sekkhuntod. Director of the Electronic Government Agency (Public Organization) or EGA, says MEGA 2015 is very successful as there are 243 teams participating in with more than 280 applications submitted. The contest comprises the Best Idea category for students or amateur with more than 179 teams submitting 200 applications and the Best Innovation category for professional developer and Thai software entrepreneur with 64 teams submitting over 80 applications.
EGA aims to see the new government applications or the government service applications to be practically used by general public so that they can access the government services more easily with shorter process which is the key objective of the digital economy policy.
To extend the digital economy age development policy, EGA will continue MEGA 2016 next year.
The awarded government applications comprise 17 prizes. Winners of both categories will receive a trophy from HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, an honourable plate, a certificate and fund. The award categories include:
- Best Idea (student) : 4 prizes
- Best Innovation (independent developer and Thai software entrepreneur) : 4 prizes
- Special prize by category : 4 prizes
And 4. Special prize categorized by the sponsor from the public and private sector : 4 prizes as following:
- Best Idea (student) comprise:
– Winner: Team ViaBus with ViaBus, a real-time public bus tracking and navigation mobile application with both Thai and English language.
– First Runner-Up: Team Cancer Crush with Cancer Crush, an application for a society of patient with cancer which is an additional communication channel among patients to educate them about cancer, provide caretaker and suggest a healthcare from psychiatrist.
– Second Runner-Up: Team Mobilise with Mobilise, a real-time patient mobility analysis and tracking application to estimate a risk of falling among patient or elderly.
– Honourable Mention: Team Asura with LongPlanDo, an application for travel organizing and planning which is useful for people nowadays who have a limited travel period.
- Best Innovation comprise:
– Winner: Team Treconweb with SmartHealth for Chronic Kidney Disease, a healthcare application for chronic kidney disease to analyse patient’s blood pressure, urine and blood result which can link with hospital information system, initially used at Somdet Phra Yuparat Leong Noktha Hospital where there are over 3,000 patients with chronic kidney disease.
– First Runner-Up: Team Atapee with “Impressive Tourism Sharing Society,” a social network tourism application which provides tourism information fitting with user’s habits like photo, video or other’s comments. Users can share their tourism experiences with others through Blog or Wiki.
– Second Runner-Up: Team Namo with “Nurturing the Religion, the Value of Mind,” an application where users can choose a temple to make merit and learn a direction or route to it. Users can also choose items to make merit which a temple needs.
– Honourable Mention: Team Progress with Progress, an application of learning society where teachers, students and parents can participate even without an Internet connection. It also includes functions for teachers like class attendance, score, student information and timetable.
- Special prize categorized by the sponsors from the public and private sector with 4 prizes comprise:
– Best Environmental Application: Team Sweet Duck with Wildfire Alarming System, sponsored by the Department of Environmental Quality Promotion.
– Best Emergency Medicine Application: Team ARSA with rescuing system for pre-hospital emergency medicine, sponsored by the National Institute for Emergency Medicine.
– Best Enterprise Mobile Application Award: Team Atapee with “Impressive Tourism Sharing Society,” sponsored by IBM Thailand Company Limited.
– Samsung IOT: TreconWeb with SmartHealth for Chronic Kidney Disease, sponsored by Thai Samsung Electronics Company Limited.
- Special prize by category with 4 prizes comprise
– Best Quality of Life, Society and Environment Promotion: Team Cancer Crush with Cancer Crush.
– Best Welfare Services Promotion: Team MTT Innovation with Bangkok eService.
– Best Economic, Investment and Tourism Promotion: Team Asura with LongPlanDo.
– Best Government Data Award: Team Plook Phuet Tharm Din with “Plook Phuet Tharm Din” (AskSoil)
- People Choice Award, a special prize from people’s voting: Team Artapee